Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Tough Guys and Drama Queens: How Not to Get Blindsided by Your Child's Teen Years

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Book Review - Tough Guys and Drama Queens: How Not to Get Blindsided by Your Child's Teen Years

About the Book
Parents of preteens and teens can move from scared to prepared with a new approach to parenting their adolescents.

Parents of preteens intuitively know that no matter how good their kids are, there is turbulence ahead. Many feel lost and unprepared as they watch the damaging effects of culture collide with their child's growing pains and raging hormones.

For the past 35 years Mark Gregston has lived and worked with struggling teens and knows what it takes to reach them. He says, "A parent's success has little to do with either the validity of their words or their intent as messengers, it's more about how they approach their child and engage with them."

The book is divided into three sections:

  • What's so different about today's culture 
  • Why traditional parenting no longer works 
  • A new model for parenting teens 

Foundational and practical, and written from the crucible of experience, Tough Guys and Drama Queens answers the questions that parents are asking, helping them become the parents their children need them to be.



My Take on the Book
This book opened my eyes to how society is impacting today's teenagers. I know that right now I am scared about what will be in store for me in five years when my daughter is a teenager, but I know that parents today are going through similar concerns and this book does a good job at allowing parents to better understand what to expect when it comes to teens today. On top of this, the book was practical and provided valuable insights into what parents should be doing today to better parent their teens. What's even better though is the fact that the author knows what he is talking about and is sharing 35 years of experience in the model that he is proposing which is invaluable!

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not influenced in any way by the company.  Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Please refer to this site's Disclaimer  for more information. I have been compensated or given a product free of charge, but that does not impact my views or opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions?Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

1 comment:

Liza Pierce said...

I am reading the book right now and I think it's absolutely helpful for parents of tweens and teens. I have two teens right now and I found this book in the bookstore at my church. I highly recommend this.